Do you love nature? Do you want to learn more about local plant, animal and insect species? Do you want to learn about volunteer opportunities related to the natural environment? Tuleyome is once again teaming up with the University of California's extension program and the Woodland Public Library to teach members of the public how to become Certified California Naturalists!
No advanced degrees or previous naturalist experience is required. We teach you everything you need to know and get you certified. SIGN UP TODAY!
Sign-ups for our winter 2020 class are open now!
The winter class will be held from January - March 2020.
Winter Course: January - March 2020
There will be 10 classes and 3 field trips.
Class Limit: 30 students (adults, age 21 and over)
Classes take place at:
Woodland Public Library, Leake Center
250 1st St, Woodland, CA 95695
12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
- Friday, January 17, 2020
- Friday, January 24, 2020
- Friday, January 31, 2020
- Friday, February 7, 2020
- Friday, February 14, 2020
- Friday, February 21, 2020
- Friday, February 28, 2020
- Friday, March 6, 2020
- Friday, March 13, 2020
- Friday, March 20, 2020
Field Trips will take place at various locations. All fitness levels are taken into consideration, so the field trips will all be low-impact. They will take place on:
- Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Saturday, March 14, 2020
A detailed syllabus for the course will be made available as we get closer to the start date.
COSTS AND REGISTRATION DEADLINES
For the Winter Course, all students will be expected to purchase the required textbook for the course. You can order the textbook directly from the University of California or through other book outlets.
Once you register for the course, we'll send you a packet of forms to fill out. All of the forms need to be returned to Tuleyome PRIOR to the start of the first class. (Don't worry, we'll send you reminders.)
- Standard Registration : $475.00 [Note: If you pay the tuition online through the Eventbrite link, Eventbrite will ass service fees which will bring your cost up to $505.55. To avoid those fees, you can send a check made out to "Tuleyome/Calnat" to Tuleyome, Attn: Bill Grabert or Nate Lillge, 607 North Street, Woodland, CA 95695.]
- Scholarship Registration: ALL SCHOLARSHIPS ARE GONE FOR THIS SESSION.
NOTE: Once the registration fee has been paid it will NOT be refunded in whole or in part for any reason (except in the unlikely event that the entire course is cancelled by Tuleyome).
Teaching Modules Include:
- A “Nature Table” for sharing field journals and photos of specimens found in the region
- An overview of the chapters of the textbook, along with more targeted information about our region with a focus on vocabulary
- Guest lecturers (when available)
- Guided field trips
- Hands-on learning experiences (where appropriate) which may include “Coyote CSI”, “Making a Plant Press”, the “Your Naturalist Knowledge Eco-Blitz Game!” and more.
- And our very popular “Species Identification Modules” during which we will go over various common species found in the region and tell you some fun facts about them
The UC California Naturalist Program is designed to introduce Californians to the wonders of our unique ecology and engage the public in study and stewardship of California’s natural communities. The California Naturalist program uses a science curriculum, hands-on learning, problem-solving, citizen science, and community service to instill a deep appreciation for the natural communities of the state and to inspire individuals to become stewards of their local resources.
Courses combine classroom and field experience in science, problem-solving, communication training and community service. Students are taught by an instructor and team of experts who are affiliated with a local nature-based center or natural resource focused agency. Upon completing certification requirements, participants are eligible for four academic credits through UC Davis Extension for an additional nominal fee.
A Special Thanks to the Those
Actively Supporting Our
2020 Naturalist Program
We acknowledge and thank the donors, grantors and sponsors who have provided funding or in-kind donations to support our Certified California Naturalist program. If you, your company or organization would like to be added to this list and have your name appear in social media posts, press releases, email blasts, and on the slideshows presented at every class, contact Mary Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In-Kind Donations and Sponsorship Provided by the Following:
[Click on the logos below to access the sponsors’ websites.]